Saturday, January 28, 2006

Buy Korn Instead

I randomly picked up an mp3 of The Blues Busters some time last week. I didn't even really realize it, it just got stuck in the net as I was trawling for music.

I already had a few Blues Busters songs, and in fact, "Soon You'll be Gone" is probably my favorite ska tune of all time - one of my all-time favorites, genre notwithstanding.

But this new tune, "I Won't Let You Go," is damned, damned good. I don't know who these guys' band was (I suspect it was Byron Lee & The Dragonaires), but they are top-notch and tight - especially their later Bluebeat stuff.

But the real thing is Lloyd and Phillip's vocals. I swear on my life, these guys were as good as Sam & Dave. It's just harmony heaven. And they really sing melodies. A lot of vocals that use prominent harmonies tend to avoid really "swoopy" melodies. But these guys are all over the place. Up, down...and in perfect harmony the whole time. Dude, and this was before overdubs. It's as impressive as The Delmore or Louvin Brothers. There's passages where you forget it's two voices, I mean they're that perfectly integrated.

Awesome stuff. Go out to your local record store and buy a Blues Busters CD! Oh wait, I forgot what world we live in! Silly me! Good music is nearly impossible to find!

Nevermind, go buy a Korn CD.

Blues Busters - I Wont Let You Go