Sunday, February 12, 2006

Not Big on Details

Well, I can't possibly top Billy Bragg (one of my all-time favorite artists), but I think I'll stick with the Valentine's theme.

"This Old Heart" is not the same song as the Isley's "This Old Heart." It's an mid-50s (best I can tell) Rhythm n' Blues groover penned by Brown before he had developed the soul/funk style he is known best for. Frankly, I find this stuff more interesting than his formulaic 60s/70s work.

I ripped this from a King LP (737) called "Hit Makers and Their Record Breakers," which collects Rn'B/proto-rock n' roll tracks by Hank Ballard, Little Willie John, Bill Doggett and James Brown. King isn't really known for being big on details, but the liner notes refer to 1961, so I'm guessing that's about when the collection was released. It doesn't pin down the date of this track, but mentions other 1955, '56 and '59, and that's about what it sounds like.

If you're thinking I don't know much about early James Brown, you're absolutely right. If you're also thinking I'm too lazy to Google up some info, you're two-for-two!

Enjoy!

James Brown - This Old Heart