Saturday, June 03, 2006

Be-Bop Mop-Top

OK, folks. No snickering here. Yeah, this is some poppy, some might even say wussy music. But that don't mean it ain't good, and that doesn't make me any less of a man.

These are cassette rips, and that sound you're hearing is "tape hiss." Remember that kiddos? For those who don't recall, there was a time when cassettes were really popular. I'm guesstimating it was from '86/'87 to '91/'92 - right when albums were dying quickly, being replaced by those new-fangled CDs. Problem was, car CD players were still new technology. They were very expensive and not very reliable (hit a pothole and your CD quit playing. Real good decks just skipped a lot.)

So for a time, people who wanted to play their music in their car were stuck with cassettes. Sure, you could dupe a CD onto tape, but that resulted in buckets and buckets of tapes laying around. Plus, a new cassette was four or five bucks cheaper then.

The result was, I had a lot of cassettes. And sadly, around this time I was also experimenting with lots of new styles and bands, so a bunch of cool stuff I still like now is stuck on cassette. Not important enough for me to re-buy in on CD, but not quite ready to be tossed in the dumpster.

Anyway, this post is about Danny Wilson...

I Was Wrong

Desert Hearts

...a sadly under-rated band who never found the audience they deserved, blah, blah, blah. Music fans know the drill.

I see this is still available at Amazon for about $20 new, $8 used. Hm. I expected it might be a bit cheaper.

I have to learn how to do those fancy Amazon links. I hate you HTML-enlightened blogging people.