Why Can't More Music be Like This?
Johnnie Allen, Promised Land
It's a Chuck Berry cover, recorded in 1971 in one take for the B-side of a single. IMHO, this stomps the gumbo out of the original. The accordion solo is amazing. While recording, the drummer nearly fell off his stool and Johnnie forgot a verse, yet they kept rolling. Thirty years later, it sounds so damn invigorated and alive. I guess because it's real music played by real people with real instruments, recorded with real equipment in real time. It's...real...
I try and try and try to impress upon folks that heart and soul and passion will always sound better than technical perfection, but musicians who play from their gut is almost unheard of today. Most folks would rather fiddle with their Tube Screamer and fix the vocals in post. :/
(Available on the Ace compilation, "Another Saturday Night." I can't recommend this CD, really, but you absolutely MUST pick up the similar (but much superior) "Louisiana Saturday Night," also from Ace.)
It's a Chuck Berry cover, recorded in 1971 in one take for the B-side of a single. IMHO, this stomps the gumbo out of the original. The accordion solo is amazing. While recording, the drummer nearly fell off his stool and Johnnie forgot a verse, yet they kept rolling. Thirty years later, it sounds so damn invigorated and alive. I guess because it's real music played by real people with real instruments, recorded with real equipment in real time. It's...real...
I try and try and try to impress upon folks that heart and soul and passion will always sound better than technical perfection, but musicians who play from their gut is almost unheard of today. Most folks would rather fiddle with their Tube Screamer and fix the vocals in post. :/
(Available on the Ace compilation, "Another Saturday Night." I can't recommend this CD, really, but you absolutely MUST pick up the similar (but much superior) "Louisiana Saturday Night," also from Ace.)


<< Home