Unknown Hinson
I don't get it. His popularity, that is. Oh wait, I just got it.
It's yet another triumph of style over substance. More accurately, it's the ability of fans to accept the marketing of a musical act over the actual content.
What I mean by that is, Uknown Hinson isn't very good. And for all his claims of being a "Country Troubador," he isn't country - new or old.
I'll save you the trouble of spending time and money on his act. It's recycled Cramps. That's it. He doesn't play like Junior Brown (as the ad states), his licks are cliche'd and overplayed. He certainly doesn't sing like Merle (as the ad also states). Hell, I'd barely call it singing at all.
Now, I know the bar is pretty low for musicians these days, seeing as there aren't many good ones left who care to play anything listenable. But the folks who go to UH's shows should know better. They HAVE heard Junior Brown and Merle Haggard. They're heard The Derailers and High Noon and 20 million other knock-offs. But the fact is, when I saw UH a few months back, it was mostly punk rockers, psychobillies and the Misfits crowd. They don't go for the music; they go for the "show." And to justify their act of shallowness, they all pretend the music is good.
And all this is fine - if you enjoy it, listen to it. But don't drag perfectly good reputations through the mud in the process, and don't lie to me about what is what. I know good country music, and this isn't it.
I also know that Uknown Hinson's "act" is pretty weak.
(In the absence of much of anything real good - especially in these parts - folks are looking for something to hang their hat on. I realize that. The last ten years haven't been so good for the rockabilly/old country/roots rock genre. The fanbase has shrunk dramatically, the old bands have gotten lame or quit, and the new bands suck. There ain't much to be excited about. Enter Mr. Hinson. Upon discovering him, folks must've thought they'd found a saviour.)
It's yet another triumph of style over substance. More accurately, it's the ability of fans to accept the marketing of a musical act over the actual content.
What I mean by that is, Uknown Hinson isn't very good. And for all his claims of being a "Country Troubador," he isn't country - new or old.
I'll save you the trouble of spending time and money on his act. It's recycled Cramps. That's it. He doesn't play like Junior Brown (as the ad states), his licks are cliche'd and overplayed. He certainly doesn't sing like Merle (as the ad also states). Hell, I'd barely call it singing at all.
Now, I know the bar is pretty low for musicians these days, seeing as there aren't many good ones left who care to play anything listenable. But the folks who go to UH's shows should know better. They HAVE heard Junior Brown and Merle Haggard. They're heard The Derailers and High Noon and 20 million other knock-offs. But the fact is, when I saw UH a few months back, it was mostly punk rockers, psychobillies and the Misfits crowd. They don't go for the music; they go for the "show." And to justify their act of shallowness, they all pretend the music is good.
And all this is fine - if you enjoy it, listen to it. But don't drag perfectly good reputations through the mud in the process, and don't lie to me about what is what. I know good country music, and this isn't it.
I also know that Uknown Hinson's "act" is pretty weak.
(In the absence of much of anything real good - especially in these parts - folks are looking for something to hang their hat on. I realize that. The last ten years haven't been so good for the rockabilly/old country/roots rock genre. The fanbase has shrunk dramatically, the old bands have gotten lame or quit, and the new bands suck. There ain't much to be excited about. Enter Mr. Hinson. Upon discovering him, folks must've thought they'd found a saviour.)


<< Home