Friday, February 17, 2006

The Knack......in 1966?????


...and they were on Capitol, to boot! Found this years after the [more-successful] Knack had come and gone. This is the first of four 45s their [preceding] namesakes cut for the folks in the Tower at Hollywood and Vine.

[I have a confession to make---I grew up leaning over a console TV/stereo, watching those rainbow-label Capitol LPs turn on our family's turntable.....mostly Buck Owens albums. After that, of course, came the Beatles and Beach Boy records I hunted down in the mid-70s. So I have a soft spot in my heart for anything on Capitol. If I ever get a tattoo, it will be of that dome logo .....just so you know. ]

Production is by Capitol staff producer Nick Venet--who worked on the early Beach Boys records and, soon after this, had a top-10 hit with his production on The Stone Poneys' cut of Monkee Michael Nesmith's 'Different Drum'. A tight little poppy production, with what appears to be a mandolin-ish sound on the bridge, and some shifts in tempo-feel that probably made it a bitch to dance to.....probably the main reason for its relative unknown status.

There are some sites on the net with more info about these guys, but I'm ready to lay off the computer tonight.....you know where Google is. In the meantime.....enjoy!

The Knack [1966] - Time Waits For No One