Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Tao of The Killer

How’s My Ex Treating You?

How’s my ex, my ex treating you?
Has she had time, time to find someone new?
Any day now will be her last
Son, I know from the past.
‘Cause I was once, once there too
How’s my ex treating you?

Like the sand, she’ll move with the tide.
Your two arms will never keep her satisfied.
She’ll use you just the way she used me too,
But up to now, how’s my ex treating you?

Like the sand, she’ll move with the tide.
Your two arms will never keep her satisfied.
She’ll use you just the way she used me too,
But up to now, how’s my ex treating you?

=====

Jerry Lee Lewis...he probably was the true "King of Rock n' Roll." But how could a piano player claim that title?

His post-cousin marrying output is sorely and sadly undervalued, but I suppose that's what he gets for running to a Country audience in an attempt to stay relevant and liquid. That material isn't really taken seriously, but it's his most defiant and emotionally-charged work by far. I don't know if "Killer" really had a heart or not, but he sure as hell sings like it.

Which is what this song is...one of his late-60s Country numbers that hardly made an impression. I think part of his problem is his consistency. Most artists would kill to be able to affect the impact of even Jerry Lee's throwaway numbers.

And this number is pretty much a throwaway. It's all pretty standard stuff. Standard Killer piano in front of standard Country Rn'B arrangement. Yet there's something else there. A bit of unexpected humanity? Does the Killer really feel emotions like we humans?

Yeah, maybe he does. "How's My Ex" sounds intentionally blase and uncaring, but there's just a hint in there that gives away the whole charade.

I myself am partial to this tune because it's the words I always wanted to say but never felt worth the trouble that would ensue. It's a pretty ballsy song if you think about it. It would take balls to walk up to your ex's current and ask this question. It would take a stoneface the size of Mount Rushmore to keep it under this much control.

I never asked, but The Killer did for me.

(Note: this is a vinyl rip from a pretty lousy record. No skips or crackles, but lots of hiss. I did my best to mitigate that and bring out some detail, but it's still a vinyl rip. I've had this single for years now and always loved it. I wanted to rip it, but the 45 is just torn to hell. Then tonight, while listening to records, I found it on a bargain-price JLL double LP I didn't even know I had. So there you go.)