Friday, September 22, 2006

The Sub-Ultimate Gene Loves Jezebel Shatner Dance Mix

The following happened between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 5:00am. I was too embarassed to post until now. I was really, really drunk.

------

And so it has come to this, gentle readers... I submit for you, not the ULTIMATE Gene Loves Jezebel Dance Mix I wish I could provide you, but damn close.

The Sub-Ultimate Gene Loves Jezebel Shatner Dance Mix.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I fully intended to be in bed and asleep at 12:00 - perhaps 1:00. But here it is 4am...and I am still mixing this abomination.

It is NOT the "Ultimate Gene Loves Jezebel Dance Mix" I so much wanted to give you., It can't be, because The Ultimate Gene Loves Jezebel Dance Mix would include a dance mix of "Gorgeous" and something - anything - off of their superior "Promise" LP. I can't offer you either of those. And I feel shitty about that. You know why? Because I HAD that piece of hot vinyl in my hands. I OWNED it. I'm talking about the limited edition Gene Loves Jezebel DOUBLE 7" release of "Gorgeous."

I had it. A limited run of 1000 copies, hand-lettered. I owned it, but now I can't find it when it MATTERS THE MOST.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The lesson here kids, is don't sell your vinyl. Just don't. Sell your cassettes, sell your CDs...but don't sell the vinyl. You DON'T want to end up bitter and lost like I am. You just don't.

Sigh...but what I am offering you today is a mix of 12" singles you've probably never heard...WITH something special...

William Shatner at his lowest career valley. What more could you ask for?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

As a young thrifter in the 80s, I stumbled upon an estate sale where I found a couple "geek" records: a Star Trek LP, Monty Python record, and a double album of William Shatner reciting various plays, poems, and soliliquies. They are certainly worth more than the entire county or Mozambique, and I gloat every day... yes, I do....

So...I have never played these records until tonight, when I sampled prime pieces of Shatnerability to intersperse with the musical fire that IS Gene Loves Jezebel.

Yeah, folks, you're gettin' something special here. I use an old G3 iMac for ripping vinyl, and I've been through several software hangups. I'm five hours into this project, but I'm POSITIVE it's worth the effort. Even if I can't claim it is the "Ultimate."

All I ask is that you ENJOY...